Re: [LAU] make my bassguitar sound good

From: Aurelien <orl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 11:20:06 EEST

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 10:14:53AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote :
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:24 AM, Aurelien <orl@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >> Mostly it's just me, and I'm not a bass player but I own two, but to
> >> me it's mostly about gentle EQ. I find I cannot change the real nature
> >> of the instrument itself but rather can just move it a bit in the
> >> direction I want it to go.
> >>

> > You're quite right. Bass sound is very much a matter of fingers (or
> > pickups) playing. As every other instruments, actually, but in "current
> > music", I think it's really marked.
> >

> And strings, strings, strings. Huge difference on a bass. I love
> putting a new set of strings on a standard guitar. We all know that
> pleasure. But on a bass it seems it's really important to find the
> right brand of strings to bring out the best sound the bass has to
> offer. I'm lucky to live near a great guitar shop where I could get
> some good advice. They were nice even though my two instruments are by
> most measures not so good. However they were good and pointed me
> toward a couple of different options that worked out well. I don't use
> the same strings on each instrument and personally will never
> recommend bass strings at all as I think the right choice depends too
> much on the instrument.

I play on an unique bass model, which have been designed and built by
Christophe Leduc. This guy is awesome, and I didn't have to look for
strings, he puts in La Bella Super Steps, which are the best strings
ever (as far as I know), and it just sounds so magical. By the way
strings are very good mean not be on ease with the instrument, if
they're not well chosen. So, once again, if you're note on ease, you
won't produce a good sound.