Re: [LAU] Fwd: Free Yamaha grand piano soundfont

From: Roberto Gordo Saez <roberto.gordo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 20 2008 - 18:30:06 EEST

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 09:47:44PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:
> Sounds very nice. It seems like it's in mono, though. Either that or there's not very much stereo separation.

Thank you for trying it. Yes, it's in mono. And I've just
noticed a bug in the soundfont today (loops again) :-(

> I prefer the Steinway stereo soundfont but it tends to sound more like a celesta when summed into mono due to phasing issues.

The Steinway is also very nice, but samples in the Yamaha
are much more balanced, which greatly simplifies the life of
the soundfont maintainer ;-)

I would really appreciate if anyone with a real (non-electronic)
piano and good mics takes the time and effort sample each note, at
different velocities, at full length, at the maximum sample rate
and bit depth allowed by the recording hardware, and publishes
those samples under a free license. Pleeease... someone?
Guitars and other acoustic instruments would also be very
appreciated.