Re: [LAU] A Linux Audio distro that can keep up?

From: Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 30 2008 - 12:13:57 EEST

hollunder@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> Maybe I give something like sidux a whirl as well. studio64 doesn't
> appeal to me, since using debian-stable, the system in general is not
> very up-to-date.
Normally it isn't recommend to have a mixed Debian based system. When
you use stable (as 64studio) does, you can use backports. But mixing
stable with testing is asking for troubles.
Mixing Debian testing with unstable isn't recommend either by the Debian
devs, but works way better then mixing stable with testing. It gives you
the advantage that you are able keep almost every package up to date
(you have to do it sometimes by hand, cause also in unstable the audio
packages are not always up to date).
I use it now for a while and have good experiences with it:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=15612

Sidux is another solution for it, already mentioned.

If there was a version of 64studio based on Debian testing, it would be
much more easy to keep audio packages up to date in my view (you're able
to mix it with some unstable packages). And you know the newest packages
fixes in general some bugs and add new features which are most of the
time very useful...

Maybe an idea for the 64studio devs?

Regards,