Re: [LAU] PulseAudio and Alsa

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 31 2008 - 19:48:07 EEST

On Sunday 31 August 2008 17:48, Folderol wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 09:38:58 -0600
>
> Stephen Doonan <stephen.doonan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Folderol wrote:

> > > Personally I've had virtually no contact with it. The only App. of mine
> > > that uses it is Audacity, and I find it's behaviour very strange when
> > > trying to get it to work with jack.
> >
> > Audacity uses PortAudio, not PulseAudio, right? Two different things,
> > which only adds to the confusion (in my mind). :-)
>
> Oops :)

Hi Will. Just stick to writing music, and by the way we havn't had anything
from you lately.

If pulseaudio does turn up as a new package when you update, and the sound was
working just fine before that, then just disable the darned thing, as it can
cause problems that didn't exist before.

I've used Alsa since Fedora Core 1, but come Fedora 8, pulseaudio is now
installed as default, and the sounds with my Audigy2 soundblaster card, no
longer worked. Removing the package "alsa-plugins-pulseaudio" got the sounds
working again.

Thankfully none of my other distros, Debian, Kubuntu, or Archlinux have forced
Pulseaudio onto me.

Nigel.