Re: [LAU] [ANN] Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard 0.1.0

From: Edward Tomasz Napierala <trasz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 21:13:07 EEST

On 0901T1838, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> > > On the linux side, there is jack-keyboard which has two manuals and
> > > everything
> >
> > Two and a half. ;-)
>
> The man page, the web site, and something else that counts as the half
> one? ;-)

I've misread 'manuals' as 'octaves'. I've never thought about 'two
manuals' in church organ terminology.

> Seriously, I think he talks using the church organ terminology to describe the
> four rows of keys mapped as notes in your jack-keyboard compared to vmpk,
> where the default (built-in) key map uses only the two lower rows, like
> vkeybd. Also like vkeybd, in vmpk the user can customize the alphanumeric
> layout mapping the upper rows of keys if he wish so. Some provided map
> layouts use all key rows. Being vkeybd (and vmpk) keyboard mappings
> configurable by the user, I find it surprising your claim that jack-keyboard
> has a "much better keyboard mapping", when it is hard-coded in the program.
> Flexibility is not desirable for you?

Sure it is. But I prefer things that are simple and "just work", without
need for configuration. At the time I wrote the docs, jack-keyboard had
much better _default_ keyboard mapping.

> On the other hand, the key event handling code in vmpk may be not very
> time-efficient, and may be related to the observed delays. I will try to
> measure and optimize it, although I think this problem may be neglected
> compared to the big hardware problems of the alphanumeric keyboards that
> prevent some key combinations to be pressed together at all. Anyway, the
> piano keyboard emulators aren't real music instruments. Is anybody going to
> perform a real concert with one of them?

No. But they are useful if all you have with you is a laptop and you
are bored and want to experiment a little.

Also, an important purpose for jack-keyboard is testing if JACK works
properly. ;-)

[..]

--
If you cut off my head, what would I say?  Me and my head, or me and my body?