Re: [LAU] 64bit vs. 32bit

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 00:27:11 EEST

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 22:59:33 +0200
Crypto <crypto@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am considering to migrate my system from 32bit to 64bit.
>
> What are Your experiences concerning 64bit for audio applications? Any issues
> not yet resolved?
>
> Anything that does not work at all?
> What are the REAL advantages of 64bit vs. 32bit?
>
> Thanks for any hint,
> Crypto.

For the work I do, the issues are insignificant. My DAW is dual core
64bit and is used ONLY for music creation.

My compositions are done almost entirely with soft-synths, mostly
ZynAddSubFX. Heavy-duty number crunching like this really shows the
difference. There are voice patches I use that will barely run on a
32bit machine without pushing the processor to 100%, with only a few
notes sounding.

I know there are problems with VSTi but I don't use these at all so
it's not an issue for me. All office type work I do on a separate cheap
bog-standard machine.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk