[LAU] realtime kernel on ubuntu 8.04

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 09:14:02 EEST

Hi

My old thinkpad running ubuntu 7.10 died and I'm now on a new laptop
(toshiba satellite) with ubuntu 8.04.

I'm having alot of trouble getting good realtime performance, not sure
what's caused by ubuntu or the laptop.

I installed "linux-rt" which seems to have provided some kind of
realtime kernel:
atte@email-addr-hidden:~$ uname -r
2.6.24-19-rt

I also edited /etc/security/limits.conf to contain:
@audio - prio 99
@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - nice -10

I can run jack with rt-priority 80, but am getting x-runs and audio
breakup even at light load and conservative latency (17ms).

One of the things I have a feeling might be causing trouble is
pulseaudio. Should this be disabled, and if so how?

What else am I missing?

NB: I'm mostly testing this with eXT2, which performed great on my thinkpad.

NB2: This is a dualcore, 2Ghz, 2Gb ram machine with a fresh ubuntu 8.04

Any ideas appreciated

--
Atte
http://atte.dk    http://modlys.dk