Re: [LAU] Notation: The State of the Mess

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 03:42:53 EEST

David Baron wrote:

> A while back, someone was working a a minimalist scoring program, gcomposer I
> think he called it. His syntax was very close to MUPs idea. He was not

The original noteedit program used a mup-lilke syntax. I even managed to
import/export a few simple pieces (just playing around stuff). The new
program nted uses a text file which appears to represent the gui display
much more than the music (which probably makes lots of sense). BTW, nted
is a program which I've give a go and it appears to have lots of promise.

> interested in a full repertoire of music symbols, however. But a GUI for MUP
> in the making. it certainly could be.

Do you folks really think a gui is important for this kind of stuff? I
know that I am very happy doing mup (and mma) stuff with a text editor.
I have used a number of GUI interfaces for music and find they just slow
me down or get in my way. With a program like mup (or lily) one can have
an editor in a window and do repetitive compiles/displays in a separate
window (or in emacs, in the same). And with fast CPUs which are so
common today it is very fast to do. Maybe I'm just showing my age :)

--
  **** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden