Re: [LAU] No audio going between JACK and sound card

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 11 2008 - 21:47:16 EEST

On Thursday 11 September 2008 19:23, ANDERSON GREGORY wrote:
> I just installed Fedora 9 but I am having trouble getting
> JACK configured properly. The only way I can get jack to
> start without failing is by using the 'dummy' driver. But
> I cannot get sound out of the computer (even though ardour
> is working properly and playing) or any sound into the
> computer. Is this 'dummy' driver an actual driver?
>
> I had it woring excellent in Fedora 8 but in my absent
> mindedness did not write down how it was configured. I do
> believe I was using alsa though. Do I need to set the
> path to the driver, it just says 'jackd' now?
>
> If someone could answer my questions or at least point me
> to a resource I would be very thankful.
>
> Greg.

Hi Greg. You mention both Fedora 8, and Fedora 9, and both of those have
pulseaudio soundserver installed as default. I've read that pulseaudio has a
problem working with Jack.

For myself, my sounds were working fine on Fedora versions pre F8, but when
pulseaudio entered the equation with F8, I lost all sounds with my Audigy2
soundblaster card. I admit that I don't like new stuff being thrust upon me,
so disabled pulseaudio by removing the package
"alsa-plugins-pulseaudio" (without the double quotes), and the sounds came
back.

Now my Audigy2 soundblaster card (emu10k1 driver) allows me to run audio apps
directly through Alsa, and also run Jack at the same time. Most sound cards
don't though, and if you are running an audio app through Alsa, and it's
working, then try to start Jack, Jack will complain. Likewise if you are
using a Jack app, and that is working ok, and try to also start an app that
uses Alsa directly, that will fail also.

Just a few comments, and observations.

Nigel.