Re: [LAU] No audio going between JACK and sound card

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 13 2008 - 17:48:24 EEST

On Friday 12 September 2008 23:57, ANDERSON GREGORY wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:47:16 +0200
>
> Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 September 2008 19:23, ANDERSON GREGORY
> >
> >wrote:
> >> I just installed Fedora 9 but I am having trouble
> >>getting
> >> JACK configured properly. The only way I can get jack
> >> start without failing is by using the 'dummy' driver.
> >> But
> >> I cannot get sound out of the computer (even though
> >>ardour
> >> is working properly and playing) or any sound into the
> >> computer. Is this 'dummy' driver an actual driver?
> >>
> >> I had it woring excellent in Fedora 8 but in my absent
> >> mindedness did not write down how it was configured. I
> >>do
> >> believe I was using alsa though. Do I need to set the
> >> path to the driver, it just says 'jackd' now?
> >>
> >> If someone could answer my questions or at least point
> >>me
> >> to a resource I would be very thankful.
> >>
> >> Greg.
> >
> > Hi Greg. You mention both Fedora 8, and Fedora 9, and
> >both of those have
> > pulseaudio soundserver installed as default. I've read
> >that pulseaudio has a
> > problem working with Jack.

> > Nigel.
>
> I just removed pulse audio but I am getting the same
> errors. When I try to use jackd as the server path I get
> this error.
>
> 18:53:06.576 killall jackd
> jackd: no process killed
> 18:53:06.989 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit
> status=256.
> 18:53:08.643 Could not connect to JACK server as client. -
> Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server.
> Please check the messages window for more info.
>
> With all the other server paths I get this error.
>
> 18:54:03.126 JACK is starting...
> 18:54:03.127 jackstart -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p512 -n3 -S
> -i1
> 18:54:03.133 Could not start JACK. Sorry.
> 18:54:04.932 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
> 18:54:04.933 Post-shutdown script...
> 18:54:04.934 killall jackd
> jackd: no process killed
> 18:54:05.387 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit
> status=256.
>
> Is there a beginner how-to for jack that explains what all
> this stuff is and how to set it up? I can't seem to find
> one which I can understand.
>
> Greg.

Hi. Greg. Ok, that's got pulseaudio out of the equation. The dummy driver
produces no sound, and from what I know it's only used for de-bugging
purposes. Do you have the Qjackctl package installed (GUI for jack, and midi
connections)? In Qjackctl's setup, there's a bunch of parameters you can set
for jack, and presuming you don't have a realtime, low latency kernel
installed, make sure the "Realtime" box is unchecked.

I'm not up to speed with Fedora 9 yet, but I do have sound with F9 on my new
machine which has an onboard hda-intel soundcard. Perhaps you could send a
bit of info after a reboot, so that the dummy driver is not involved, as you
don't appear to have any sound at all. Output of following commands as user.

cat /proc/asound/cards
/sbin/lsmod | grep snd
/sbin/lspci (just the bit for the soundcard)

Another reason why jack refuses to start can be due to the soundcard already
being used by something else. Looking at my notes, you could try these
commands.

lsof -n | grep /dev/dsp
lsof | grep /dev/snd

Also, have you got any sound related stuff plugged into the USB, like I have
with my usb midi keyboard (webcam with mic/headset, for example). I've always
had to set an index options line in /etc/modprobe.conf, so that the usb midi
keyboard, which due to the USB starting early in the boot process, sets the
keyboard as card0, and the real soundcard can no longer use the card0 slot.
cat /proc/asound/cards should show if this is so though. The fix is simple,
and a line as below in /etc/modprobe.conf will resolve that problem.

options snd-usb-audio index=1

I think that's enough for now, until you send a bit of feedback.

All the best.

Nigel.

btw, will you CC the list when you post back, as someone else may have better
advice than me. Perhaps you did, but your reply only turned up in my inbox,
and not in the box for the list.