Re: [LAU] Customizing Kubuntu for music?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 13 2008 - 21:43:39 EEST

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Darren Landrum
<darren.landrum@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Just run whatever distro you want and then grab the source for the RT
>> kernel. I run Gentoo but never run Gentoo kernels. I'm fortunate that
>> the Gentoo pro-audio overlay means I don't have to go find the
>> rt-source code myself. Portage will download it, but I still have to
>> build it.
>>
>> AFAIK it makes almost no difference what distro you run as long as
>> it's recent. You'll build the kernel using your installed tools and
>> you'll likely get good results.
>>
>> If you're not experienced with building and installing kernels then be
>> careful, but do NOT be scared. It's pretty easy and it will be a good
>> training experience.
>
> Great! Thanks, Mark (and Cory, who emailed me off-list). :-)
>
> The only issue is apparently an NVidia binary driver bug when using KDE's
> nicer window effects, but other than that, I think I'll give this a shot.
> Thanks again!
>
> Regards,
> Darren Landrum

Darren,
   ALL closed source video drivers are NOT supported on the RT kernel.
That's not to say they won't work but rather that if you run into
trouble with the kernel you are on your own.

   I would STRONGLY suggest building your kernel at least with support
for the best open source driver you can find for your card and then do
a little testing with that. There aren't too many reasons to run the
closed source video drivers for audio work but I don't know what else
you do with the machine so I cannot say. I do run some closed source
drivers here on a couple of Myth frontend machines as the ATI driver
supports using the S-Video output where as the open source version
doesn't, so there are reasons to do it. Maybe your graphics adapter is
very, very new and there's no open source driver yet? If so you're
stuck, at least for now.

   Anyway, get the code, learn to build it and boot it. If you run
into problems just ask and you'll get answers or ideas.

Cheers,
Mark