Re: [LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

From: Roberto Gordo Saez <roberto.gordo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 12:36:10 EEST

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 05:33:59PM -0600, Stephen Doonan wrote:
> I think that one of the problems is that soundfonts do not allow
> crossfading of layers (do they?). Instead, layers in soundfonts play at
> their full volume for every MIDI note that is within their assigned
> range of MIDI notes.
[...]

As far as I know, soundfonts do not allow crossfading :-(

Another feature that I miss is the capability to place multiple
redundant samples per note and velocity layer, so they are randomly
choosen. This way the soundfont will be even bigger (sorry), but it
solves a particular problem: when playing the same note in a quick
sequence, our human ears notice very soon that exactly the same sample
is playing each time. When playing a real piano, violin, or other
instrument, it is impossible to produce exactly the same sound, and
those small variations make a difference in realism. (BTW: Does
anyone in this list know a way to simulate random variations with
filters or other effects within sf2 files?)

It seems that gig and sfz formats are more flexible than sf2, but they
seem not to be very well supported by free utilities.