Re: [LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

From: Roberto Gordo Saez <roberto.gordo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 14:59:32 EEST

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:52:09PM +0200, Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> > Roberto Gordo Saez wrote:
> >> As far as I know, soundfonts do not allow crossfading :-(
> >
> Why not use the gig format?
> At least there is linuxsampler to play it and gigedit to create it.

I've been trying to avoid linuxsampler because of its license.
Well, it's not that bad, most of the code is GPL other than the
commercial exception in the backend, and since I'm not going to
use it in a "commercial hardware or software product" it should
not be a problem for me, but it could be a problem for other
people... if I make and release a sound bank in gig format I will
be almost "forcing" Linux users to accept linuxsampler's license
in order to use my sound bank (there is no other free alternative,
AFAIK). I really don't want to do that.

In short: for political reasons, my pedantic/philosophical point
of view forbids me to use linuxsampler. For technical reasons,
I would prefer to use the gig format, though.