Re: [LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

From: Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 15:28:17 EEST

2008/9/17 Roberto Gordo Saez <roberto.gordo@email-addr-hidden>:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 07:02:34PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
>> You want to use sf2 for reasons of freedom? sf2 is not free as in
>> defined-by-the-fsf. Probably the same as gig (and gig _has_ a free
>> implementation, just use an old linuxsampler with plain gpl)...
>

> SF2 format is openly documented (OK, the official docummentation is far
> from perfect, I know), but my main point is the implementation. I will
> support the gig format with a free implementation (a free
> implementation can also be seen as documentation).

In my opinion sf2 and gig are both equal closed,
but sf2 is limited and out of date too.
The dls (indented to replace sf2) format is not free either.
I would have to pay about $30,00 for the specification.
(http://www.midi.org/techspecs/dls/dls.php)
There is no download (except for old version 1)
The sad truth is: There currently is no real open patch specification.
(And if there was one, it would take some time to become spread and accepted.)

Having a look at the linuxsampler page, they say libgig is "pure GLP v1".
http://linuxsampler.org/downloads.html
I just checked the libgig sources and could not find any commercial exception.

Now, if it is pure GPL, then there is a free implementation for the
gig format as well !!
All we needed was a free soundgenerator.

Note, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just sharing my
thoughts and information.

Regards,
Emanuel