Re: [LAU] licensing fun

From: Roberto Gordo Saez <roberto.gordo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 18:41:43 EEST

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:12:55AM -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> > However, it really achieves the same ends.. Trolltech gets paid for
> > commercial implementations of Qt.

Or more exactly, for proprietary implementations. There can be
commercial development under the GPL version of Qt provided that
they comply with the terms of the GPL (and it is very common).

Anyways, your comment made me think... now I wonder if linuxsampler
developpers would be willing to place everything under the GPL
(not LGPL). This way, any software product would need to be released
under a free, GPL-compatible license (without the need of exceptions)
or they should contact to arrange a proprietary license with them.
Hardware products are another issue... but if the:

"COMMERCIAL HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE PRODUCTS"

could be turned into...

"COMMERCIAL HARDWARE PRODUCTS"

at least I think it would be an improvement for distributions trying to
package it (unless they are distributed preinstalled in a laptop or
other "hardware product").