[LAU] [fwd] Re: ALSA ate my MIDI! (Or Something) - RESOLVED

From: <maex@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 13:27:36 EEST

> Also, some USB hubs may not provide the full spec of power to every port
> on the hub if you happen to be using all of them. I'm using 5 of the 6
> available ports on my little powered Zonet USB2 hub (with transfer rate
> to prove it!) but if I add my 2.5" external notebook hard drive to the
> last available port, the drive doesn't get enough juice to power up and
> make a connection. Directly connected to the computer, it works fine.
>
> If it's really a USB1 hub, it may not be providing enough power for
> everything connected to the hub when you plugged your keyboard into?

hello

i had quite similar experiences with usb hubs and usb soundcards and also midi interfaces

the usb sounddevice for instance, wanst working over a unpowered usb hub, and
of course doing his job when connected directly.

and some interfaces may not work correctly like described above.
for instance the usb midisport 2x2. i coulnd get it working to
provide midi signal out into old analog syntesizers ( i guess they are more sensitive
or have more powerconsumption, i dont know, on the midi site ). i had to route it
through powered midi i/o ports to get it working. so i gave that interface away.

i dont know if this has anything todo with alsa, i dont think so.

best