[LAU] Announce: Nama, an Ecasound-based recorder-mixer on CPAN

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 03:08:55 EEST

Hello LAU community,

There is no shortage of recording and mixing software for
Linux. Probably five or six that are based on Ecasound,
with implementation languages including Lisp, Python,
Tcl/Tk, Perl/Tk and probably others.

Here is another one written in Perl.

Nama is available from CPAN, included in the module
Audio::Ecasound::Multitrack. The following command will
install the software on most systems:

        cpan -i Audio::Ecasound::Multitrack

Nama has tracks, buses, marks, a mixer and other
conveniences allowing a person to record and mix using
Ecasound without needing detailed knowledge of Ecasound
chain setups.

The program is a refactoring of Ecmd, with significant
additions. Since I imported the original procedural code
into git a year ago, I have introduced:

- object-oriented code for buses, tracks, marks, etc.
- YAML for .namarc and state save/recall
- a command line grammar
- help for text commands
- default Tk GUI with a CLI in the terminal window
- text-only mode for use without X
- looping playback mode
- support for Ecasound playat/select/audio_loop/reverse

I have also found and closed many, many bugs.

I have intended for Nama to be simple, predictable, hackable.
and think I have achieved this, to some extent.

Will appreciate any comments, suggestions, bug reports,
patches or other feedback.

I'd like to include special thanks to Kai, for Ecasound, to
Brad Bowen for Audio::Ecasound, the Perl interface used by
Nama.

Joel

--
Joel Roth