[LAU] Rosegarden crashes - anything obvious to look for?

From: Matthew Smith <matt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 13:34:14 EEST

Hi Folks

Before I go through the painful process of collecting debug data and
filing bugs against Rosegarden, I thought I'd see if anyone was familiar
with the issues I am experiencing.

Having finally got various external issues resolved, earlier today I
attempted to record and play back a track on Rosegarden. I was using
the current Gentoo ebuild, being the rather old version 1.5.1. I
experienced a crash when trying to replay a track so upgraded to the
latest masked ebuild, 1.7.2 - same issues.

I have managed to get crashes when:

1) I attempt to play back a track.
2) I attempt to create a new track when there is a change to what is
already there. So, I do 'new', I get 'the current file has been
modified, do you want to save it?'. I say 'no', it crashes.

When the crashes occur, I get a KDE crash handler pop up (I never even
knew this was a KDE application) telling me that rosegardensequencer
crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV). After a short time, I also
get a message from Rosegarden saying 'The Rosegarden sequencer process
has exited unexpectedly.'

Whilst these messages are popping up, Rosegarden disappears from the
Connections window of qjackctl.

The Rosegarden window itself, however, remains present.

Is this a behaviour with which anyone else is familiar? Thought I'd ask
around before running off and filing bug reports.

Just in case it's relevant, I'm actually running the Fluxbox window
manager, but KDE is installed and I run other KDE applications without
issues - I use Konsole all the time as I have never found another
terminal application that I like 1/1000th as much.

Now up to about 20 hours total getting all this set up - almost makes me
wish I'd stuck to analogue! (Or my Atari.)

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/
Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/