Re: [LAU] Usage of undefinded MIDI mesages

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2008 - 14:58:36 EEST

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 12:55:52PM +0200, Crypto wrote:

> Because I would like to make the MIDI messages static (i.e. they are linked
> with particular buttons and faders and will not be changed) I have thought of
> using an external application (keykit in this case) to work on incoming MIDI
> events of the MIDI controller, filter them and trigger newly defined MIDI
> events with it.

Have a look at MIDIDINGS:

<http://das.nasophon.de/mididings>

Very flexible and easy to program.

> I would like to make the MIDI messages transmitted by the controller as short
> as possible. I have thought of assigning the Bx (Control Change) command to
> the buttons and faders, but this would mix with/overwrite other control
> change commands sent by other MIDI devices.

Not if you use a separate channel. Or a separate interface.

> How about the System Common Message F4 and F5 which are not yet defined in the
> MIDI standard? Could I add some extra data bytes to identify the type (button
> or fader), the number and value?

Don't. It's not even defined how many bytes should follow
these codes. And they are _system_ commands.

If you can't use controllers, use sysex. The overhead is not
that much.

Ciao,

--
FA