Re: [LAU] PulseAudio and Alsa

From: Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 08 2008 - 11:36:19 EEST

Stephen Doonan's solution worked for me too.
However, pulseaudio is still running, and I found only
Pulseaudio Manager in Adm/Session window.
Is it safe to kick /etc/init.d/pulseaudio out? What breaks?

Jackd is installed but nothing runs, and I cannot find a setup
in preferences nor in administration. However, launch of JACK Rack
made this too:
/usr/bin/jackd -T -ndefault -p 128 -T -d alsa -n 2 -r 48000 -p 1024 -d hw:0,0
Is that ok for click-free recordings?
Should I put this jackd command to /etc/init.d somewhere for automatic
launch and for higher soft-RT privileges?

Now QTractor works while it did not work prior launching JACK Rack.
Very good idea for JACK Rack to start the server if it is not running
already.

What is ESD in Preferences/Sound? It is ok if Gnome uses software
mixing for its sound beeps, but if it is a sound device software,
then that must go. If I unmark it, what then is used for the beep
mixing? I don't want that my audio card is used for mixing 20
beeps while I record.

Are system beeps harmful when I record?

I want 24 hour perfect recording. What disk hungry processes
/etc/init.d/ and /etc/crontab launches? (Mlocate?)

Perhaps the disk usage, like kernel flushing its buffers, is not
an issue anymore but years ago it did lead me to write (alsa)shmrec.
With two processes and a lock-free buffer (first time when such was
used in Linux audio?) the system (P90) turned from a click-hell to
a click-free recorder. I could even use emacs and other applications
while recording!

Juhana