Re: [LAU] MIDI players

From: Robert Vogel <vogel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 13 2008 - 04:32:38 EEST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob van der Poel" <bob@email-addr-hidden>
To: "Stephen Doonan" <stephen.doonan@email-addr-hidden>
Cc: "A list for linux audio users" <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2008 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: [LAU] MIDI players

>> That's why I didn't mention Qtractor: because Bob wants as simple a
>> program as possible and mentioned RoseGarden as overkill.
>>
>> However, my suggestion (timidity) won't suit his needs either perhaps,
>> because there may be no way in timidity to send the MIDI data itself to
>> an external tone-generator or synth instead of converting the MIDI data
>> into WAV audio. Sorry, Bob. :-)
>>

> Yeah, timidity doesn't support "real" synths. Qtractor, I don't know
> about ... but, probably overkill.
>
> Again, the kmid program would be just fine if it didn't distort to the
> external synth. Anyone happen to have any ideas about why it might be
> doing that?
>
> --

My Debian distribution, for the most part, works pretty well and MMA also is
good.

When playing a midi file, I use Hydrogen for drums, and one or more of the
synthesizers : ZynAddSubbFx, Qsynth, and others. Specific midi connections
are made using aconnectgui, and Rosegarden drives it all. This all works
well for me. I can record the results using Audacity, and even play keyboard
along with
it using a UX15 Yamaha USB keyboard connector.

It's not very simple, but I wouldn't go back. Actually I'm working on a
wxpython script that should make it a lot easier to operate.