Re: [LAU] hip hop / making beats

From: Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 13 2008 - 15:53:36 EEST

Grammostola Rosea skreiv:
>> Ok, nice thanks. And how do you make your beats and with which software?

For the drumbeats I use Hydrogen, and Ardour for longer samples/loops,
scratches and voice/instrument recordings. I might also throw in SEQ24
and a softsynth if I want some of that.

> And the scratching? Do you use samples, how do you get them?

They're by me, done on a good ol' Technics SL1210, one fine piece of
equipment, with actual vinyl records. As Dave pointed out you can also
use Terminator X, which is one fine piece of software. If you already
got turntables, but want to use non-vinyl samples, I strongly recommend
xwax: http://www.xwax.co.uk/

Be aware, though, if your music gains momentum you might experience that
the fellow hiphopers you took samples from demand royalties for the
samples used. Even more so with 70s/funk/etc artists who don't realise
that the main reason they're still selling records is that they're being
sampled. You can solve this problem by only using samples from works
with permitive licensing, for example one of the Creative Commons licenses.

To me I realise my music is illegal, so that's why I've called the
collection "Illegal Musikk", and I'm ready to take any consequences of
that - call it art ;)

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org