Re: [LAU] hip hop / making beats

From: Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 13 2008 - 22:37:57 EEST

Grammostola Rosea skreiv:
> What are good but cheapo turntables? Maybe I can buy one second hand...

I can give you but one advice: There's no such thing as good AND el
cheapo turntables. If you plan on doing scratching you should settle for
nothing but the real thing. Don't let yourself get fooled by one of
those numark or similar offerings. I know people who did, and they end
up collecting dust in a corner, cause they can't be used for scratching
or mixing.

So, yes, you should get the only decent piece of equipment Technics ever
made, the SL1210. Alternatively some of the top models of Vestax might
be considerable, but personally I've had the experience that Vestax that
they seem not to be very well tested, and they do have some design
flaws. I do not own a Vestax turntable myself, but I do have one of
their mixers, and right now it's in a drawer unused.

OTOH you might find some 2nd hand 1210s on the cheap, it's not unusual.
1210s are also easier to get parts for, so you could buy a trashed one
on the cheap and rehabilitate it yourself. There are numerous guides for
that on the net. Also, sometimes they are sold DIRT cheap, since many
people who've used them assume that they have no value anymore. Check
for example your local radio station or discotheque for those kind of deals.

Good luck,
johannes.

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org