Re: [LAU] Simple, easy multithreaded circular buffer library for Linux?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 14 2008 - 14:00:03 EEST

Am Dienstag, 14. Oktober 2008 schrieb Ken Restivo:
> I also vaguely recall that some GUI-related libraries like Glib and QT
> offered built-in abstractions to make multithreaded apps and common
> constructions like circular buffers much easier.
> I'm being lazy, so instead of researching everything that's out there, I'll
> ask here: can anyone recommend a relatively simple and painless abstraction
> library (GPL or LGPL of course) that will give me functions to create a
> thread in which I can stuff things into a ring buffer, and another thread
> in which I can pull stuff out of it?

As I am doing quite a lot multi-threaded programming currently I can tell you
that Qt makes it rather easy. But dealing with multiple threads can still
have complicated corners.

All the examples in the qt docs about the different locking mechanisms
implement a ringbuffer / fifo. Either with mutex, semaphore or
read/write-lock...

Have fun,

Arnold

--