Re: [LAU] Linux backing up Radioactive (of Spearhead)

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 14 2008 - 20:54:50 EEST

On Tuesday 14 October 2008, Ken Restivo wrote:

> >> He only sat in with us for that last song of the night (and I ran out of
> >> flash-drive space right near the end of it too).
> >
> > Thats a really clean live sound you are getting. What's your setup? Are
> > you just tapping a desk in stereo or are you recording each track
> > individually?
>
> Thanks!
>
> It's just a Zoom H2, sitting on a table or barstool in front of the band.
>
> The way recordings were made in the 1950's, except with modern digital
> technology.
>
> I think one of the shows (2008-09-19?) I fed through JAMIN afterwards to
> compress them a bit.

Just to chime in. I got myself one of those small portable stereo recorders,
too. In my case it's the Marantz PMD620.

I hooked up a Audio Technica Pro 24 stereo mic to it and i like the result of
recording stuff with it, too.. Here's a sample track of my latest gig 2 weeks
ago (third set):

http://tapas.affenbande.org/ifc/kamp_ifc_4.10.2008_1008.mp3

Music starts something like a minute or two into the mp3. Loud drummer and
since i refuse to turn up my guitar above a certain level it is too quite at
times.. Same for the bass player.. Mike placement was part of the problem,
too..

The internal Mics in the Marantz are a bit too much on the bright side for my
taste, but also very usable..

Ah btw: before buying the Marantz anyone: Its USB support is quite shabby.
Nonworking under linux [though it declares itself as USB-Storage so it should
work].. There has been a firmware upgrade supposedly fixing this, but it
might lock up the recorder, so i rather not use it and it has been
consequently pulled from the Marantz Website.. I'll get myself a SD-Card
reader for the PC..

To sum it up: These devices are excellent for recording rehearsals/gigs etc.
to be able to study them afterwards.. A real album recording would need more
effort (miking individual instruments, etc)

Regards,
Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!