Re: [LAU] dssi/linuxsampler etc support in Qtractor?

From: Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 15 2008 - 13:25:41 EEST

Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

>>> and what do you think is wrong with qtractor's?
>>>
>>> under qtractor, dssi plugins are treated as any other plugin
>>> (ladspa, vst). however as an instrument plugin (dssi, vsti) it only
>>> makes sense when inserted in a midi track, of course.
>>>
>>> additionally, you can chain the instrument audio audio output
>>> through other fx plugins in-place. that's why you get to insert
>>> audio plugins (ladspa, vst) in a midi track. ah, you can even have
>>> multiple instrument plugins in a midi track, but remember that only
>>> the last active one will have an audible audio output ;)
>>>
>>> as said, you can select the midi program/instrument while in the
>>> track properties dialog where you can choose which to assign from a
>>> drop-down list. this is provided even without you firing up the
>>> plugins gui, which will work as well btw :)
>>>
>>> maybe i'm missing your point, you tell me
>> When I start Hexter for example on the normal way (not as plugin) I
>> see what instrument belongs to what program no. . That's also the
>> case in Rosegarden. I doesn't see that as I open it in qtractor...
>
> when you open/insert a plugin in qtractor you'll see the generic
> plugin form. plugins that implement their own gui most certainly will
> have this generic form empty, that is, with no sliders to tweak plugin
> parameters. if then you wish to launch the plugin dedicated gui (if
> one is provided) you'll have to go through the "Edit" button or
> respective
> context menu item. there you'll see some particular option to
> select instrument programs and that should be the case for hexter as
> well, probably (i'm not sure, can't confirm atm.)
>
> again in qtractor, you can select the instrument/program without going
> through the gui editor. while in track properties you can do that
> exactly as you would do for any other midi instrument (eg. outboard
> hardware) for which you have a cakewalk instrument definition file
> setup. otoh, instrument plugins provide its own midi program map, no
> need for a .ins definition file ;)
>

>> Maybe that's my point and maybe giving the program no names will
>> improve things..(?)
>
> no names? now i've missed it, again :/
Sorry, vague language. I mean program numbers > names of instruments

But it is solved now. When I have selected a dssi in the tab 'plugin'
and I go to the tab 'track', at that point only the program numbers are
displayed!!!
But when I mouse click on 'Hexter ...' below Midi/ instrument (on the
right of 'channel') I see the instrument names...

This is somewhat vague cause the name of Hexter seems already
selected... (it is strange for me that I have to mouse click it before I
see the instruments instead of just numbers)...

>> BTW. are you planning to support LASH with your great apps?
>
> yes, i have that plan in some dusty shelf. still waiting for this new
> lash generation :P
Would be great!

Another little gui thing I have with your latest version.
The names in the menu: file, Edit, Track, View etc. are not displayed
totally. I've Fil , Edi , Trac , Viev ,
The last letters of the names are displayed half...