Re: [LAU] Why telnet for communication between applications?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 16 2008 - 12:56:07 EEST

Am Donnerstag, 16. Oktober 2008 schrieb Crypto:
> reading recent posts concerning telnet there is one thing I have not yet
> understood:
> Why would I use telnet for interprocess communication rather than e.g.
> transmitting commands between two applications via software MIDI ports ?
> Is it (much) faster? Or do I get less protocol overhead, or...?

It is more flexible. On telnet (which is really network transmission) you can
do anything you want, either a text-based protocol (usable via telnet:)
containing easy-to-remember named commands. Or you can implement a binary
protocol and push data (even lots of data) around.
And its network transparent. For example you can have a headless audio-box
acting as your soundfont player (with linuxsampler) and control it via
network from qsampler from a different machine.

When using (software) MIDI you are fixed to the limitations of midi. And that
is so limiting that even the hw-synth manufacturers do the complicated stuff
in their own protocols encapsulated in midi-sysex...

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---