Re: [LAU] songs and samples request for comments

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 00:12:38 EEST

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 7:52 AM, garryo <garry.ogle@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hartmut Noack wrote:
>>
> (snip)
>>
>> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-ashita-141008.ogg
>> detailed description:
>> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-ashita-release-demo1.txt
>>
>> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-befall-demo01-191008.ogg
>> detailed description:
>> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-befall-demo1.txt
>>
>> Both are in a demo-status, the first (ashita) needs a final mix and
>> mastering, the second will get a bass line and some more extras also and
>> will be re-recorded in a open demo-session with a band at the
>> Brandenburger Linux Infotage in Potsdam/Germ on November the first this
>> year.
>
> Hi, Hartmut. I really enjoyed your tracks. Both have great dynamics and
> strong dramatic tension: you had my attention 100%!
>
> I was reminded a little of music like Pink Floyd's "Careful With That
> Axe Eugene" and maybe Can. Which is a good thing :-)
>
> re Thorsten's comment about "vocals shy in the mix" on "Befall" : at
> times the vocals seem at the right level, at times a little quiet.
> there is a quite wide dynamic range. You want to keep some of this, but
> i would try compressing the vocals and have them a little louder.
> And maybe lose the reverb so that they sit right at the front. At the
> moment they are having to compete with the guitars a bit.
> maybe some reverb on the guitars to make them sit back.
> (just my quick thoughts, i know your work is not finished :-) )

Yes. I agree, these are great songs.

I am definitely not a studio engineer, and have no skills whatever in
that department, so I won't make comments about how to fix things, but
to my (listener) ears, I also agree the vocals sound a little "back"
(I have the feeling that may be more to do with overlapping dynamic
range rather than absolute volume - a bit like in the band My Bloody
Valentine, the vocals sound very back, but are allegedly quite loud -
the effect being due to the extreme distortion and fuzz on the guitars
competing with the voice.. depends if this is something you want). The
other "problem" with the second mix, is it sounds a little "thin". I
don't know if this is because it is uncompressed, but the bass end
seems empty.. I know you are planning to add bass guitar, but the
drums also sound a bit "wimpy" and lacking in dynamics and low-end to
me. The drums and mix on the first one are much better.

I probably wouldn't have noticed this a month ago, but I have started
playing my guitar through a marshall stack instead of a V-Amp, and in
both tracks, the guitars do sounds like they are quite processed and
digital and not played through a "proper" amp (I guess you might say
this is unsurprising, but I think you can get better sounds from the
line6 pod with some tweaking). Again, this might be an effect you want
anyway.

James