Re: [LAU] soundmodule for my fatar

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 15:21:37 EEST

Hi!
   The JV1010 is definitely the smallest of them all. The JV1080 or JV2080 are
the only other ones I came across, but I suppose the rest of them is fine too.
The JV1080/2080 have more controllers for direct programming as I remember.
For the JV1010 you'll need some computer editor if you want to use the synth
power of it (changing sounds, making your own patches.
   The JV1010 has you typical midi in/out/thru. so no problem: take your fatar
or your Linuxbox. I only used the headphones out, but I'm pretty sure there
also was a line-out pair (6.3 INCH). It's easy to take and easy to set up. You
can use any MIDI-input device Keybaord, sequencer, etc. and any output
audio-gear. The line-out has a built-in preamp, like with any odd synth. There
are four turning knobs: volume, MIDI-channel (for playing in multi-timbral
mode, sound/patch choice and bank choice. You can press on one of them to hear
a small demo of the sound currently chosen. Thus youcan check if you've got
the correct sound, when only a sequencer is attached. Very convenient.
   But for the really nice stuff: choosing by sound-category, editing patches
or system setup, you'lll need a computer editor software. The JV1010 comes
with emagic sound-diver, which is unfortunitely windows, but SHOULD work in
wine.
   As I said the JV1080/2080 just host more card (1080 two cards of your
choosing, no card built-in. Not too different from the 1010, which ahs
session-board built-in and one free slot. The 2080 can host up to four
expansion boards, no board/card bult=in. they both can do more work without
the editor. I think you can have full access with the module only. They should
also have the preview feature.
   General note: 512 sounds (if I remember correctly) in the built-in banks and
each card offers up to 256 new sounds + drums (sometimes). The session board,
defintely keeps the 256, so should both orchestral boards (I have them) and
the techno collection. Besides that you'll have to look. You can find material
on each board somewhere on the net, complete listings of patches (the sounds
you hear when simply scimming through) and waveforms (the basic parts of a
sound. A sound is made up of up to four waveforms. that goes for all the JV
modules.
   If you have any more specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
   Kindest regards
          Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net