Re: [LAU] Pulseaudio and Jack (was: Jack aware audio player for ipod)

From: Burkhard Ritter <burkhard@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 27 2008 - 00:37:20 EET

Paul Davis schrieb:
> On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 21:33 -0400, Chris Hallinan wrote:
>> Just starting to build my Linux audio studio, and having lots of fun
>> so far. Installed Jack, qjackctl, ardour, rosegarden, and bought the
>> Edirol FA-101, all working "out of the box". Pretty amazing.
>>
>> Now what I'd like is an iPod player that's Jack aware. When I plug my
>> iPod into USB, Rythmbox understands the format and plays the media on
>> it, but of course, it won't play into my FA-101 'cuz it appears to
>> have no support for Jack. Anyone have a recommendation for an iPod
>> player that's Jack aware for Ubuntu 8.04?
>
> Rhythmbox doesn't do audio I/O, GStreamer does. And GStreamer *is* JACK
> aware. You just need the gstreamer JACK plugin. Then you need to
> configure gnome-sound-properties, which is frankly a hassle. i did it a
> few weeks ago, and i've already forgotten what i had to do :(

Yet another possibility is to use pulseaudio. I've read lots of rather
negative comments regarding pulseaudio on this list in the past, but I
tried it after reading this thread and so far it works very well for me.
There's no pulseaudio jack package in Ubuntu but the package from Debian
unstable works like a charm. You probably want the libflashsupport
package as well; then switch everything to pulseaudio: in the audio
preferences dialogue, xine, amarok (uses xine on Ubuntu). Load the jack
module in the pulseaudio configuration file and that's it; probably use
the pulseaudio applet to control everything. You can even switch from
plain alsa to jack while pulseaudio is running by removing and loading
the respective modules, although it seems simpler to just restart it
with a different configuration file.

The only thing that does not work is starting jack automatically. If I
start jack and then pulseaudio with the appropriate configuration
everything is fine. But if I just start pulseaudio it tries to start
jack itself and fails:

$ pulseaudio -nF /etc/pulse/jackd.pa
jackd 0.109.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread
1210771792, from thread -1210771792] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot create engine
E: module-jack-sink.c: jack_client_open() failed.
E: module.c: Failed to load module "module-jack-sink" (argument:
"channels=2"): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

Does not make much sense to me as jack just works fine on this system,
with realtime privileges and everything. Pulseaudio is running as the
same user (me), so there should be no problem really. Does anybody have
any idea as to what could be the reason?

Regards,
Burkhard