Re: [LAU] linuxaudio.org

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 27 2008 - 17:53:08 EET

On Sunday 26 October 2008 19:11:53 Burkhard Ritter wrote:

> >> I'm sorry I can't help you with that; lam.fugal.net circumvents this by
> >> only collecting links to such songs, not the data itself.
> >
> > OK, but I am wary of that too, thoughts anyone? A ccmixter type site
> > would actually host files... Hmmm, I wonder if the code could be changed
> > to let the internet archive host the files?
>
> I don't see the problem there. If we are careful with the licenses it
> should be fine to host and stream the music. Now I haven't looked at
> ccmixter.org in detail but it seems to be pretty large, complicated;
> probably overkill for us. What I could imagine is taking the
> lam.fugal.net-add-music-page and adding some stuff: _optionally_ allow
> users to upload the file instead of (or additionally to) providing a
> url, requiring them to choose a license (most likely Creative Commons)
> that actually allows us to host and stream the file. Visitors can then
> download appropriately licensed music from linuxaudio.org. Later we
> could add a moderated or random stream, in addition to a m3u playlist.

I need to remember to comment on this when I have more time.

> >> linuxaudio.org can help out with technical aspects: setup, provide
> >> bandwidth, backup and diskspace. Someone else will need to jump in for
> >> the license details. - I guess you will need to provide a phone-number
> >> so that PPL can call in to remove cumbersome content :(
> >
> > You are thinking DMCA type notification wrt "cumbersome content"???
>
> Is there really need for something like this? When we just accept
> properly licensed music files?

Unfortunately, there probably is such a need. People may put up tracks where
the work belongs to others and indicate a license that they have no right to
apply. IIRC, the folks over at ourmedia.org ran into this issue a good bit.

> Regards,
> Burkhard

all the best,