Re: [LAU] Kmix + jackd strange behaviour

From: Crypto <crypto@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 30 2008 - 11:41:34 EET

On Thursday 30 October 2008 03:27:40 Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Kmix is possibly rewriting the .asoundrc file to make the device the
> "default" card.
>
> I'm not sure what your settings are in qjackctl. Are you assigning
> devices by name or by node point?
>
> ex, intel, usb, hw:0,0 hw: 1,0

Patrick,

a .asoundrc file is neither in my /home directory nor in the /etc directory so
I do not think Kmix is creating one.

When I use qjackctl I look at the connections that are possible. qjackctl
finds all audio devices connected to my notebook and their relevant device
names and node points and displays them. They are updated whenever I restart
qjackctl.

It means that I can get a hw:0,0 for my external USB device but I can also get
a hw:2,0 for it. qjackctl monitors that and always seems to display the
latest device name/node point combination. So the answer to Your question
is "I look at the device name and qjackctl knows the node point for jackd
assigned to the device name".

The problem is that after looking at the combination and chosing the relevant
device name/node point from this menu list for the external USB audio device
I am still not getting external audio output with jack when I use amarok that
I have set to "jack" for audio output. This appears to be linked somehow with
the Kmix menu display settings. That is, if Kmix displays the external USB
device settings I am getting amarok external USB audio output, but if Kmix
displays onboard sound settings then amarok uses internal onboard sound,
regardless the fact that qjackctl is set to output to external USB device.

I wonder if qjacktcl/jackd creates a permanent list of audio devices and their
node points once and does not update this list afterwards. Whenever a device
is connected jack looks into this list and takes the node point assigned to a
device, regardless the fact that the node point could have changed meanwhile.

Crypto.