[LAU] [OT] first computer: stats

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 01 2008 - 14:27:07 EET

Greetings,

Thank you to everyone who responded to my original query. The results
were more fun than I expected, and I thought that you all might like to
know the stats. The Sinclair machines were the clear winner with 10
users, followed by the early Commodore and PC/XT/AT-type machines at 5
each. The Atari 520/1040 line got 3 users going, as did the TRS80. The
BBC B followed with 2 users. Everything else (Amiga, Mac, S/360, etc)
got one mention.

The Sinclair must have been a good machine. Here in the States the
market was tilted towards the no-name PC/XT clones, which is what I
started with (since I couldn't afford one of those "computers for the
rest of us" (the Macs). I figured to see the Atari and PC-types make a
decent showing, but I was surprised to see only one entry for the Amiga.

And only *one* Fairlight ?! Well, Alex, be thankful it wasn't an NED
Synclavier. :)

Not long ago I read an original advertisement for the Fairlight. Did you
know that it will never be obsolete ? The advertisement said so.

Sometimes I read Keyboard just to remind myself how silly is the music
industry's advertising. My goodness, how in the world did we ever make
music without VST plugins ?!

Best,

dp