Re: [LAU] Recording Equipment

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 03 2008 - 07:46:37 EET

Sean Darby wrote:
> Hi LAU!

Welcome.

> I'm new to the group, heard about it from some random forums.
>
> I'm looking into getting pretty much a "starter kit" for recording.
>
> I'm considering getting:
> 2 AT2020 mics
> 2 XLR cables
> 2 generic mic boom stands
> M-Audio Delta 1010LT (PCI sound card)
>
> I'm temporarily holding off on studio monitors and using some Sennheiser
> headphones for the time being.
>
> I was considering the Yamaha MG166CX mixer, though changed that to just
> the Yamaha MG166C (I don't think I need the fx). Though, I don't know if
> I even need a mixer at all. It seems like people are just using the ones
> in the programs (like in Ardour).
>
> I have gobs of questions to boot... :)
>
> Would benefits would there be in using an actual analog mixer with a
> DAW?

An analog mixer will be useful if you want to record a large number of
instruments in a live setting and you don't have enough ports to capture
them directly. It may also be useful for having control of your playback
channels if you have more than two channels to playback.

However a digital mixer with midi interface will allow you to create
automated sessions then listen back to them without having to adjust the
gain curves with your mouse.

> I'll be using apps like Ardour, do I need a mixer?

Depends how many tracks you have and how you want to work with the
software. If you think you will be looking at the computer screen most
of the time with mouse and keyboard underhand then you may not need one.

> Should I get an A/D D/A converter (like the Behringer ADA8000)?

It won't hurt to have one available.

> If I get a mixer with the "Delta 1010LT", will I need the ADA8000?

The mixer might have built in converters...

> Does the 1010LT already serve as an A/D D/A converter?

If you use the analog inputs then alsa or oss will do the conversion for
you. If you use the adat interface then the mixer will do it.

> What would anybody recommend?

How many instruments will you want to use/record at any one time?

Most studios require a mixer but many producers do not...

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.