Re: [LAU] Level Matching

From: Giso Grimm <gg3137@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 05 2008 - 11:01:51 EET

You might want a loudness model, which predicts the psychoacoustically
experienced loudness of a sound. This is more or less related to the
excitation on the auditory nerve, and should work to bring even
different styles of music to similar "loudness".

I don't know if something like this exists for linux (a long time ago I
implemented a loudness model written in C for my master thesis, probably
based on the one propagated by Brian Moore: B. C. J. Moore and B. R.
Glasberg: A revision of Zwicker's loudness model. Acustica 1996, pages
335-345). If there is interest in the community, I might look at the old
sources and pack them into some kind of "loudness-library" (might be a
useful feature in compressors anyway). Basic concept of loudness
perception is spectral loudness summation, i.e., broadband sounds (e.g.
distorted music) are perceived louder than narrowband sounds of same
level (e.g. classical music). Long term loudness is dominated by the
loudest few percent of a sound (but not by the global peak).

Giso