Re: [LAU] Fwd: [PlanetCCRMA] VST

From: Crypto <crypto@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 06 2008 - 11:57:41 EET

On Thursday 06 November 2008 07:02:27 Paul Davis wrote:

> you CANNOT run win32/x86 plugins on a 64bit system.
>
> well, you could, but the host would need to built as a 32 bit
> application, and you'd need the most current JACK from svn in order to
> have a 64 bit JACK server interact with a 32 bit client.

Hi to @ll involved in any vst(i)-hell:

Look here:
http://www.breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst/

This is the project site of dssi-vst.

In 2nd paragraph it states that with v. 0.7 a windows-32bit vst can be run on
a linux 64bit system, so it should work really ;-)

I am running dssi-vst on a debian distribution (sidux), for which someone
acutally created a 32bit package of dssi-vst to be installed via apt-get.
Regarding dssi-vst vs. fst I have had success only with dssi-vst to get my
beloved B4II to run (and that is why I need vst support for linux).

After all I have read about 32bit vs. 64bit there is no big win for 64bit
aside from the memory limits being removed, at least not at the moment. Some
applications do not seem to run on 64bit at all, and it can also happen that
some things are actually slower on 64bit IIRC.

Until I know for sure all conversion has done for all applications I have
decided to stick with 32bit for a while.

Regards,

Crypto.