Re: [LAU] Recording Equipment

From: Sean Darby <sean@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 01:02:46 EET

> > 2 mics going into 2 XLR jacks that are part of the 1010LT, which then
> > (PCI) goes into the rest of the computer where ALSA/OSS will recognize
> > it and process it.
> >
> Yes and no. If you want to have good mic quality and control you should
> go through a mixing desk first.

I'm really interested in getting a mixer, though before I decide on one
I'm hoping it works with the 8-mono/4-stereo (XLR) set-up I'm looking
at, including the ability to feed all 8 XLRs simultaneously into a
computer from the mixer's outs.

> In this case I was referring to the ADAT connectors which allow you to
> transfer digital signals between the mixer and the sound card. You would
> still record to hard disk or external disk or if you have ADAT tapes
> then you can use them too.

Oh! Okay. :) What would be some examples of digital signals via ADAT
connectors?

> You should get a mixer. As you are intending to work with mics and
> instruments then it will make your life a lot easier. Also aim for a
> higher quality brand as it really makes a difference. Even a second hand
> Mackie will be better than a new Behringer in most cases so ebay is your
> friend. Personally I would get a Midas if I could afford one.

I'm definitely interested in a mixer. I have seen some great deals on
used mixers, though I will (try to) get new... hoping to.

> > Does anybody have any recommendations or suggestions on MIDI keyboards?
> >

> Evolution make/made some reasonable usb keyboards. You should check out
> the local store and see which one has the most features for your
> immediate needs. You might find that a usb midi controller with a few
> keys is better suited rather than a full set of keys. Things to look our
> for are touch sensitivity, size of the knobs, location of the buttons
> etc. There are so many devices on the market that it is best to test a
> few before you buy.

I had to look that up, Evolution part of M-Audio, they appear to be
pretty slick and effective. One thing confused me, they list 2
apparently similar keyboard types, the "MIDI Keyboard Controllers" and
the "Audio Interface Keyboards":
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=keyboardcontrollers

It looks like the "Audio Interface Keyboards" is closer to what I'm
looking for, less bulky and an easier fit on the desktop near a computer
keyboard. (Just guessing.) The least expensive one in that category is
$300 (49-key "KeyStudio 49i" (4 octaves)).

I have approximately 35 inches desk room (width), which is perfect for a
4 octave MIDI keyboard (average ~31 to 32 inches), though I'm hoping to
stick to a $100 to $200 range or even $100 to $150 max, if possible.

The 2 octave, 25-key (average ~18 to 19 inches), option is something I
can consider, though the farther I get from the full 88-key version the
more difficult it could be to use it for my 2 primary keyboard purposes
- composing music and recording music.

I'm thinking out loud. ;) So an 88-key would be too large for my 35-inch
(89cm) width desk, in which case I'd have to rearrange my studio, though
I'm thinking 2 or 4 octaves - definitely 4 - will be enough.

I have seen some $100 ones (2 octave) on zzounds.com, though am curious
if there's a 4 octave one close to that price.

Anyway, I'll keep digging... I'll find it eventually. :)

The main thing, right now, is that I get a mixer and PCI card that both
work with 8 simultaneous XLRs (and 1 or 2 MIDI instruments on the PCI
card).

Thank you again, great advice from everybody! :)

Sean