Re: [LAU] [OT] first computer ?

From: simone-www.io-lab.org <cimo75@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 22:52:40 EET

mine is quite a "steep" story: my first computer was an Averatec with
a 1.3Ghz AMD CPU, XP sp2 was out on that moment.First application was
Cubase.Tomorrow, after just a few years i am going to give a VJ/DJ
showcase with timecoded vinyls so... yeah i really dig it!
Simone

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:47:05AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> For no reason beyond boredom I decided to pester this list with an OT
>> topic or two. So, without further delay:
>>
>> What was your first computer ?
>>

> The first computer I used was a Data General minicomputer running BASIC, accessed through an Olivetti TTY terminal with yellow rolls of paper, huge Linotype-style keys, an acoustic-coupled 300-baud modem, and a punch-tape reader/writer.
>
> The first computer I "owned" (my dad bought it) was an Apple ][ with a floppy disk and an 80-column color monitor. I ended up using it more than him, and it migrated from his office to my room a few years later, when he bought himself the original IBM XT.
>

>> And for extra points:
>>
>> What was the first music/sound software you used that really hooked you
>> into this making-music-with-computers fad ?
>>

> The first computer I bought for myself with my own money was a complete Atari 1040 ST system in 1988, along with a greyscale monitor, a Roland MT-32 and a Roland RD-250 piano and a copy of HybridArts SMPTETrack. I bought it explicitly to make music. Made a ton of MIDI music with that setup for about 4 years, then bought an Apple Macintosh Classic with EZ-Vision. Quite a few years after that I got a PowerMac 7100 running DECK II and released a CD using that. I didn't do any music for many years (but plenty of Linux stuff) until 2006 when I bought a Mac Mini running Debian and then the year after I bought the ASUS laptop I've been recording and gigging with ever since. So that's the complete history.
>
> -ken

.wmv , .wma , .pps along with all proprietary Windows formats won t be
accepted and/or viewed....