Re: [LAU] VirtualBox and MIDI (Bob van der Poel)

From: Matthew Smith <matt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 10 2008 - 01:19:02 EET

Quoth Bob van der Poel at 2008-11-10 09:29...

> Thanks for that suggestion. I've tried it in the past with wine with no
> success ... but before I replied to you suggestion with a "been there,
> done that" I figured I'd try it again. Amazing, it now works! Well, not
> 100% ... but, honestly, it works better in wine than it did running on a
> laptop with real XP. Figure!

That happens. Wine keeps getting better and better and yes, it can run
faster than native Windows. When I need to use Windows, I run WinXP
under VMWare. Funny thing is that this doesn't seem a lot slower than
when I was dual-booting.

I don't know how VirtualBox stacks up against VMWare. I've heard
comments about issues with USB in VirtualBox but can't believe they'd
still be around if they were ever there, not with it being under active
development and coporate support (Sun.) Last time I checked, VirtualBox
had a much greater list of supported hosts and guests than VMWare.

But for one-off applications, Wine (or CrossOver Office) is a much
better bet for performance than virtualising the whole OS.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/