Re: [LAU] Audacity strange behavior

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 10 2008 - 23:30:34 EET

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:27:32 +0000
Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> As a double blind test when seeing what changes were made to Wav files
> when translating to and from Flac, I also used Audacity to make a
> direct copy using 'Export'.
>
> To my surprise, the copy had a different md5sum signature.
>
> Thinking that the export operation might be creating the differences I
> exported another copy, but this turned out to have a different
> signature to both the previous ones. A third copy was again different
> to all the others.
>
> Listening to the files I could detect no difference, nor could i see
> any difference in Audacity, even when stretching the display enough to
> see the actual waveforms.
>
> It occurred to me that the differences might be due to some sort of
> timestamp embedded into the file header (I don't really know what
> meta-data Wav files contain) so I looked at the files in a Hex editor,
> cecking at several identical locations through the files. They all
> showed up as different, and it wasn't just the same pattern but
> shifted a few bytes.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be happening here?

I think we experienced something similar once but I don't know problem
nor solution. wav-files have a header but I don't know of any kind of
meta-data, so this is unlikely.
My guess was and is a bug in audacity, one should contact the authors,
I haven't done so when we discovered this oddness.

Philipp