Re: [LAU] Audacity strange behavior

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 11 2008 - 22:39:52 EET

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 06:58:09 +1100
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com> wrote:

> Folderol wrote:
>
> > Thanks for going further into this. It's quite puzzling.
> >
> > The thing is, where do we go from here?
>
> I think *now* is a good time to bring this up with the Audacity
> developers. Probably worth sending them links to my response
> containing the hexdump of the differences as well as Fons'
> analysis that it seems to be low-pass filtered noise.
>
> Cheers,
> Erik

Further investigation reveals just what is going on (I think).

After a look at the Audacity help archive, I somewhat shamefaced looked
at the preferences tab.

The default sample format is indeed 32 bit float, but is selectable as
16 or 24bit integer as well.

Also dither can be 'None' 'Rectangle' 'Triangle' and most interestingly
'Shaped'. Guess what, out-of-the box default is for 'Shaped'.

I'll do a few more tests myself, but I'm rather of the opinion that
I've just stirred up a non-issue.

I shall get my coat and close the door quietly behind me :/

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk