[LAU] Expansion board (AEB8-O) for Hammerfall not working under alsa.

From: Alex Montgomery <apmontgomery@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 14:22:35 EET

Hello,

I have been using my hammerfall light (digi9636) under linux for quite some
time to record s/pdif. I recently got an expansion board (AEB8-O) to use the
hammerfall for output as well. I cannot get it to output music in alsa, and
I'm not sure why. The really confusing part is that I can get a faint and
very distorted sound out of the board if I intentionally reverse the wire
(ground/signal polarity) between the hammerfall and the expansion board. I
don't see any settings that are relevant to this sort of output in
alsamixer, Anyone have any ideas?

Here is what I did. I connected the boards and powered up my machine. Both
green and red lights were lit. I then started up JACK + Ardour and connected
the outputs of my ardour master out to all of the sound outputs of the
digi9636 and then started the music. I couldn't hear anything through my
headphones connected to the AEB8-O no matter which port I used.

I thought that I had perhaps reversed the polarity of the cable connecting
the digi9636 to the AEB-O, so I turned off my machine and reversed the
connector on the digi9636. When I powered up neither of the lights were lit.
However, when I tried to play music, after about 15 seconds of play I could
hear a very faint, very distorted version of the song I was trying to play.
I turned off my machine and changed the jumpers on the AEB-O to the other
decibel level (even though they seemed to be on the louder setting by
default) and tried again with both polarity settings. I still had the green
and red lights lit when the cable was set to the correct polarity and still
no sound. When I reversed the polarity again, there was the same very faint
distorted music after several seconds of silence, and still no lights.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
-- Alex