Re: [LAU] Any decent Reaktor/Synthedit-type apps?

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 13 2008 - 00:03:43 EET

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Damon Chaplin
<damon@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 09:50 +0100, Bengt Gördén wrote:
>> Den Wednesday 12 November 2008 09.24.31 skrev Damon Chaplin:
>> > I think we're going to have to disagree about what makes a good GUI.
>> > About 99.9% of VSTs use knobs and sliders, and people seem pretty happy
>> > with them (as I am).
>> >
>> > I can't compile Ingen at the moment but if the GUIs are like the
>> > screenshot on the home page (http://drobilla.net/software/ingen/) then I
>> > don't think it is really suitable for ordinary users.
>>
>> I might not be the average user but I have never used a real modular synth in
>> my life. But having a look at the gui for Ingen I think I might be able to
>> work with it. I really think it looks intuitive. I'll install it when I get
>> home and see if I can get it to produce some noise.
>
> Yes, it is a fine GUI for technical users who want to create synths.
> Reaktor & Synthedit both have interfaces like that (as would my app).
>
> But Reaktor & Synthedit also let developers build panels with knobs &
> sliders for non-technical users.
>
> It works well in the Windows world. There are lots of Synthedit
> synths/effects available, and they are used a lot with few problems. (Of
> course the audio quality varies, but that is a separate issue.) Only a
> small percentage of people want to delve into using Synthedit themselves
> though.
>
> Damon

If your user is a) using linux b) wants to use an audio synth the c)
they can probably work out ingen's gui ;)

However if you want to write an osc frontend to ingen it's really
easy. That's what i was attempting to do with Khagan, except at the
time i kind of sucked. Seeing as you are already comfortable with phat
and my terrible style you can have a look at that or my smack
frontend. It's pretty horrible and ancient code but it work in some
conditions ;)

An OSC frontend It will give you exactly what you want. After you
compose a synth in ingen, you can write what ever style of frontend
you like, in basically whatever language, as long as you can get it to
send OSC, which is easy. You can have a script that starts ingen in
engine mode ;) and your frontend connected to it and no one will know
it's not a stand alone app, just like synthedit.

Loki