Re: [LAU] Single Play MP3 player

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 14 2008 - 22:40:42 EET

Jeff Sandys wrote:
> Bob,
> Why don't you just use the MIDI files on your laptop?
> With MIDI unlike mp3 you can change the tempo and
> transpose the key in a flash. If your playing with a

Yes, correct. But why would I use MIDI on the laptop. I still have to
convert them to some kind of audio. I could (easily) play the midi files
on the laptop out to a real synth ... but it's just as easy in that case
to stick the midi files on a memory card and plug that right into the
synth. One less piece of gear :)

> vocalist this is indispensable. And if your backing tracks
> are created with your MMA program then MIDI becomes

Of course they are :)

My vocalist either sings at my tempo and my key or shuts up (she's also
my wife, so I need to tone this down a bit!) ... seriously, everything I
do is well rehearsed and we figure out key/tempo well in advance of any
performance. I would never go on stage and "just wing" something and try
to figure a tempo/key out with folks watching.

> another way of showing off your talent. Most people
> don't like going to a concert to see a musician performing
> with an ipod, MIDI is much more live than mp3.

Not quite a concert ... just playing for a local dance (ballroom type)
instructors xmas party.

Like I said in another post, the quality of the internal soundcard audio
or the "ipod" sound is a bit on the muddy side. I've decided to just
continue to cart my synth (with the backing tracks in MIDI on a memory
card) around.

And, yes, it looks a bit more impressive :)

> -- Jeff Sandys

Thanks.

--
  **** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****