[LAU] [Slightly OT] 312.5Hz

From: Matthew Smith <matt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 15 2008 - 03:21:35 EET

Hi Folks

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone here know any audio significance of
312.5Hz?

I have here a module from a piece of equipment dated back to 1968. It
consists of a 4-pole, 50Hz motor, a printed disc, a lamp and a
photocell. The printing on the disc (rotor) is a wiggly line of
changing frequency which - according to the disc - represents a signal
between 312.5Hz and 3kHz when spinning at 1500rpm. You light the lamp,
spin the motor, then amplify the signal from the photocell.

I've decided to use this as a tone source, replacing the filament lamp
and photocell with an LED and LDR, or possibly a phototransistor.

What I was wondering was whether end frequencies coincided with any
musical notes.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/