Re: [LAU] second qwerty

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 15 2008 - 13:46:06 EET

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 4:40 AM, Raine M. Ekman <raine@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, alex stone wrote:
>> Arnold, that's what i figured.
>>
>> If I can 'fool' X config into thinking the second qwerty is some sort of
>> midi, or 'non-default qwerty' controller, then i'm wondering if it's
>> possible to use it in a wider sense for script starts,etc..
>> I will admit i know next to nothing about this, hence the question.
>
> The easiest solution might be using a PS/2 keyboard for typing and having
> a USB one for other purposes, through the event interface, as explained in
> step 3 in the procedure here:
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3100/1/
>
> I don't know how well that connects to PD, but I'd be surprised to hear
> that it can't be done.. and a universal script-invocation thingie
> shouldn't be too hard either, it probably already exists somewhere.
>

> (As this is my delurking on this list, I'd like to thank everybody for the
> often valuable, sometimes entertaining and very rarely annoying mailings
> :)
>

> --
> Raine M. Ekman tel: 0400 838 395
> raine@email-addr-hidden www: http://www.iki.fi/%7Eraine/

AFAIK here is no need to fool X, or modify your kernel. Tell X
precisely which device to use for keyboard input (the devices are in
the /dev/input/ directory, I recommend using the symlinks in
/dev/input/by-id/), and it will happily ignore all other keyboards.
After that, you just need to read the hid device created by the kernel
for that keyboard - if PD already has this coded, all the easier, but
the interface is very easy to use (I did something very similar, with
8 mice connected to the computer, all but 1 ignored by X11 -- it was a
weekend hack, more or less, to make it work).