Re: [LAU] new laptop redux

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 21 2008 - 07:00:53 EET

shane richards wrote:

> 1) Add the Medibuntu repositories to get all your codecs

Okay, will do.

> 2) Add the ubuntu-studio repos, but don't just install the entire set;
> pick and choose the bits and pieces that you want - or you'll be
> wasting more time and cursing and swearing and fixing things later.

Ditto.
> 2b) DON'T USE these from ubuntu-studio repos: ardour, rosegarden,
> bristol, hydrogen or jamin as the versions supplied are outdated.
> Build them yourself (except ardour and jamin) from cvs/svn.
> Easy way: use 'apt-get build-dep <package-name>' to install build
> dependencies, then compile your source from there.

Doing it now. I already built Csound 5.09.2, I'm compiling Ardour 3 now.

> 2b) Get jack SVN. Maybe the easiest way is to leave the ubuntu
> version of jack intact and build and install over the top of it.
> That way your dependencies won't break. Make sure you install to
> '/usr' NOT '/usr/local' or things can go haywire with two versions of
> jack laying around.

Right-o. I know this dance. :)

> 4) Get a copy of rncbc's rt_irq script. It's a good basis to get
> all your audio timing right. (Oh, once it's installed, run jack
> at priority 70)

Will do.

Another question: I changed the ownership for /dev/nvidia0 and
/dev/nvidiactl to include myself, but on reboot the ownerships had
reverted. How do I make the change permanent ?

Best,

dp