Re: [LAU] new laptop redux

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 21 2008 - 17:45:47 EET

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Quoting Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>:
>
> All I can say is that while 64-bit
>> Linux works, and works well, there are a lot of real world limitations
>> in terms of accessing media from the web. While no where near as bad
>> as they used to be you will likely run into issues with Java and Flash
>> under 64-bit, and the decoders for things like Windows media file
>> types are almost always a bit more difficult than on our 32-bit
>> machines
>
> Adobe has just released a 64bit beta of flash 10 for linux:
> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
>
> And with the latest releases of mplayer/ffmpeg it very rare to having
> to resort to binary-only (32bit) codecs. The only times I've had to
> use them were some realplayer10 file, and as for wmv the only
> unplayable ones I've encountered are the DRM:ed ones and I don't think
> they can be played in linux whatsoever.
>
> - Peder (who speaks out of his ass since he doesn't even run 64bit)

My real point is that after running 64-bit Gentoo for 4 years I can
still see no *advantage* (and really only disadvantages) to running
64-bit Linux for a DAW platform. Certainly there are FAR fewer
disadvantages today than a few years ago, and that's good, but arguing
for the simplest solution would suggest Dave would be mildly better
off running 32-bit. There are no applications that I know of that
demand 64-bit processing. Dave's machine doesn't currently have more
than 4GB of DRAM and I suspect his chipset doesn't even support it.
All of the processor features are supported equally, if not better, in
32-bit. With that in mind I simply raised the point of view. Of course
I'm interested in finding out how 64-bit Linux makes my life better. I
just haven't found them myself.

Again, I run 64-bit on one of my machines and after all this time when
I'm given new 64-bit hardware I grab a 32-bit OS install disk, but
that's just me.

Cheers,
Mark