Re: [LAU] The perfect distro for linux audio...

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 01:57:39 EET

All my enthusiasm for "the perfect distro for
insert-any-narrow-field-here" has vanished long time ago, when I
realized the huge advantage of using a general purpose distribution
that's good enough for what you are trying to do, and also has a very
large user base. Having lots of users means great support, populous and
active mailing lists and forums, lots of packages already made and ready
to install, and just tons of know-how floating around on the net.

E.g., at the office we use CentOS. Since it's basically Red Hat
Enterprise, it benefits from all the user base and all the software and
all the know-how of the original distro. Great for enterprise stuff.

For personal usage, and also for audio, I think Ubuntu is good enough.
If you want more specific features, you can always install Ubuntu
Studio, which will give you special kernels and a bunch of audio apps.

http://ubuntustudio.org/

But before you do that, give plain Ubuntu a try. It may just be good
enough, and it's more "mainstream" than the Studio version.

*Specialization is basically a liability.* Sooner or later you run into
problems with any such narrow-focus distro. So just get a widely popular
distro and work with it. In the long term, you will realize it allows
you to concentrate more on your work and less on the tool (the distro).
That's all that matters in the end.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/