Re: [LAU] wine and sound

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 11:12:26 EET

On Monday 24 November 2008, Dave Phillips wrote:
> rosea grammostola wrote:
> > Is pulseaudio useful? or can I remove it?
>
> I've only used Pulseaudio in the context of a review of media players
> for Ubuntu 8.04. At that time and for that purpose it performed fine,
> but I don't know how it interoperates with JACK or other servers. AFAIK
> you can remove it, but you'll probably find that it's a dependency for
> many other apps. Boo-hiss for that factor. :(
>
> I'm learmning about Ubuntu 8.10 now as a matter of necessity. So far so
> good, but I've yet to muck about with the Pulseaudio stuff. Nothing
> against the software itself, but I don't need it, don't want it, and
> would like to cleanly remove it.

Pulseaudio itself is quite useful, though i don't use it myself. There however
_is_ a problem with the ubuntu way of using it. They use a virtual PCM device
for pulseaudio and make it the _default_ pcm device vie /etc/asound.conf. On
my system this effectively kills all sound, as it uses the modem device i have
in my system.. Thus all alsa app go through my onboard modem. I didn't find a
way to change this. So in my login scripts i now have

killall pulseaudio

as an effective solution ;) Another would be to edit /etc/asound.conf

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org